KL

Jacket, checked.
Knee-high boots, checked.
Passport, checked.

His heart was beating so fast that morning. In less than 48 hours, he'll smell the familiar air of New York City. Sure, it'll be cold in the beginning of October like this, but it'll be warm to the heart. He knew what is awaiting him, all the memories he had in that vibrant city, as bright as how Times Square will light up at night.
In less than 48 hours, he will also be able to hug that person he misses so much. Someone he didnt know could make breathing feels so hard when they are apart, someone who'll make him stop infront of the paint shop because those stacks of colorful paint buckets reminded him of the time they painted her apartment together;when painting was not about hard work of putting those fluids across the wall, but about occasional hugs, kisses, laughter, splatting paint on each other. All those happy times, before he had to leave his heart behind in New York City.

The flight from New York from Kuala Lumpur took a little more than 24 hours. It felt like forever when you are looking forward to something so exciting and precious, he thought. But he went thru 4 month of not being with her and longing her presence. He knew, it'll be worth it this time.

And there she was, waving frantically in front of the arrival doors. Has she lost weight? He thought to himself. She looks as beautiful as ever, with her long straight hair and almond-shaped eyes, covered in the green cardigan and a shawl he got her last Christmas. It's just she must have been too tired with her new job that she is losing weight.
It's her, as how I remember her to be, just a little more beautiful each time I see her.

He hugged her tight, probably too tight that she couldn't breathe.
Why do you have to be so far? Why do you torture me like this?

The next 2 weeks spent with her was utilized so well. Road trips, ice cream under the cold weather, joggings, taking her to work, day-dazing at Central Park, movies and cuddles at home. It was as if he was dying, as if there will be no tomorrow to spend with her anymore. He imagined spending more time like this with her, one day with their kids in each of their hands. But something so beautiful ended too fast, then it came the day he had to leave.

"There you go. I have packed everything for you here.", she handed him his black luggage.

"Thank you, I'll miss you."

Can I not leave? I dont want to leave. 

"Umm.. There's something I think I need to tell you." She looked down.

He smiled, "Go on.."

"I think we should take a break from each other. I think I need to figure out what's going on in life. I have new job, I dont know where this is going, I am adapting to so many things. I'm just confused. Don't get me wrong, I love you. But..."

It was as if someone shot him in the heart right there and then. He didnt know what to say. He hugged her tight, he smiled.

"I understand. I'll be around. I'll see you in January"

But the truth is, he can't breathe. He can barely leave her in this city of dreams, where he was leaving his dream as well. It took too long to pretend that he did not see this coming, the dying flames on her eyes when she sees him. It doesn't matter to him though, because he loves her the same if not more than before. He doesn't know how he'll survive from now on, time will heal they say, but will it?

That afternoon at JFK, he kissed her and hugged her tight. His chest almost explodes from the longing of being with her. He looked at her one last time, denying the fact that things will be completely different from that minute on. He paused, hoping everything around him would stop too, giving him more time to be with her.

"Safe flight." She took a step back, gasping from some air and breaking free from his embrace.



If you love me, why did you leave me? Take my body.. All I wanted and all I needed is to find somebody like you are. -Kodaline


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tattoo

DJAKARTA WAREHOUSE PROJECT 2016

A Cup of Coffee